Saturday, May 30, 2009

Genealogist's Psalm


Genealogy is my pastime,
I shall not stray.
It maketh me lie down and examine half-buried tombstones.
It leadeth me into still courthouses.
It restoreth my ancestral knowledge.
It leadeth me in the paths of census records and ship's passenger lists for my surname's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the shadows of research libraries and microfilm readers,
I shall fear no discouragement,
For strong is the urge within me;
Curiosity and motivation--they comforteth me.
It demandeth preparation of storage space for the acquisition of countless documents.
It anointeth my head with burning of the midnight oil;
My Family Group Sheets runneth over.
Surely birth, marriage, and death dates shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the family history seeker,

Forever.

Amen.

*****

A visitor to the Family History Library was heard to say, "Coming to this library is better than going to Las Vegas, because you always come out a winner!'

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

This is a great psalm! Thanks for sharing!